Jersey tomatoes are in! [cue the choir of angels singing!]
There is nothing quite like a fresh Jersey tomato with a little bit of salt on top. Yum!
But the possibilities with these tomatoes are truly endless. On this hot summer day, I’m reminded of a no-cook recipe that I enjoyed back when I was young and roaming the globe in Spain. It’s “pan con tomate,” translated simply “bread with tomato.” It’s a somewhat simplified cousin to bruschetta. So go ahead, pour yourself a glass and enjoy some tapas tonight!
- 1 loaf D.O. Rustic Italian bread (or the baguette if you prefer a smaller bite… the bread choice really depends on my mood!)
- 2 large Jersey tomatoes
- a clove of garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Slice the Rustic Italian loaf in half so you have two long pieces. *Toasting the bread is optional.
- Slice the tomatoes in half. Then, grate the tomatoes with a large cheese grater so that you are left with a soupy tomato pulp. Discard the tomato skins. *Tip* Put the box grater over a large bowl so that you don’t have to worry about making a mess.
- Slice the garlic clove in half and rub the clove directly onto the bread.
- Drizzle the EVOO lightly over the bread.
- Spoon on the tomato pulp.
- Top with salt, to taste.