- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (we used 5 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- STOVE TOP: Fill a large 5 Quart pot with water and add about 1 tablespoon of salt. Wash, peel and cut sweet potatoes into quarters or 6 pieces, depending on size, and add them to the pot. Cook until easily pierced with a fork. Drain; transfer to a mixing bowl and mash well with a potato masher.
- To the mashed sweet potatoes in the bowl, add the mozzarella, parmesan, green onions, 1 cup of bread crumbs, parsley and eggs. Season with salt and pepper, and mash all ingredients together well with a potato masher or spoon to combine.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs onto a plate. Scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture into the palm of your hands and form into round patties about 1/2-inch thick. Dredge patties in the bread crumbs, evenly covering both sides, and set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized nonstick pan over low-medium heat. When oil is hot, add the patties in batches, and cook for about 6 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy, using a small spatula to flip them very carefully. Add more oil in between batches if needed.