- ½ cup (110 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons (17 g) cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) whole milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsweetened pumpkin puree (preferably homemade)
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) unsalted butter
- Whipped cream
- Toasted pecans
- Pumpkin seeds
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, and salt until combined.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- Place the pot over medium heat and gradually bring to a boil, whisking constantly and making sure to scrape the bottom and corners of the pan with the whisk.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, continue cooking and whisking for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and whisk in the butter. It should be the consistency of creamy yogurt.
- Divide the hot pudding among 6 (4-ounce) heatproof cups or jars. Cover the puddings and chill until set, at least 2 hours.
- Serve the puddings topped with whipped cream and a dusting of toasted pecans, and/or pumpkin seeds.