- 12 ounces (340 g) jumbo rotini pasta
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh spicy sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup (237 g) chopped broccolini
For the Cheese Sauce
- 16 ounces (454 g) pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup (59 ml) water to deglaze
- ¼ cup (62 g) whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups freshly ground parmesan
- 4 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Have a 9×13-inch oven-safe casserole dish ready.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta shells for 7 minutes. While the pasta shells are cooking, put ice and water in a large bowl and set aside. When the pasta is done cooking, drain and put the pasta into the cold ice water and set aside for later.
- To make the sauce, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then add the sausage. Brown and break up the sausage into smaller pieces. Add the broccolini and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and place in a bowl to cool, set aside.
- Add butter, garlic, cream, nutmeg and sage to a large skillet. Simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Add sausage broccolini mixture. Wisk in cheese and stir until melted, cook until sauce thickens.
- Fold in pasta and transfer to baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted. You can stick the dish under the broiler to get it browner and crispier, if desired. Just watch it carefully!
- Serve warm and enjoy!