There are just some foods that take me to a different place. The tomato, basil, and mozzarella combination is one that does just that. To me, it embodies all things summer.
It’s full of flavor that only Jersey produce straight from the farm can pack. It’s perfect for cocktail parties outside on the patio and just as good as a side dish on the picnic table. It’s a great addition to a pesto pasta salad and just as satisfying as a simple appetizer stacked on a toothpick. Here’s a recipe for a pasta salad that is officially deemed a classic in my collection.
- 1 package of fusilli pasta
- 1 pint of Jersey grape tomatoes (or small cherry tomatoes), cut in half
- A few bunches of Jersey basil, chopped (If you need a number, about 1/2 cup)
- 12 oz container of fresh mozzarella, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons of EVOO
- A couple tablespoons of pesto (homemade or from the jar!)
Cook the pasta according to the package. After draining it, run it under cold water for a few seconds to cool and add some EVOO so it doesn’t stick. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Sit down, put your feet up, and enjoy the lingering summer nights.