- 1 lb. raw 16/20 count shrimp, deveined, shelled, tail left on
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cool water
- 3/4 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- vegetable, canola, or peanut oil (for deep frying) or oil spray (for baking or air frying)
- thinly-sliced scallions or chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Orange Dipping Sauce, for serving
- Prepare 3 bowls for breading. Place flour in the first bowl with a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper. In the second bowl, whisk together eggs and water. In the third bowl, combine panko and coconut with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pat shrimp with paper towels to remove excess moisture. One at a time, dredge shrimp in flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg wash, allowing excess to drip off. Dip in coconut-panko mixture, gently pressing to adhere.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed, deep pot to 325 to 350 degrees F. Fry shrimp in batches of 5-6, being sure not to crowd the pot, until the breading is golden and the shrimp are opaque, 3-4 minutes. Use a spider strainer to gently move the shrimp around in the oil for even browning.
- Remove shrimp from the oil with the spider strainer and place them on a double layer of paper towels set on a plate or baking sheet to drain.
- Serve on a plate with orange dipping sauce.