- 2 D.O. Corn Bread cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 loaf D.O. Rustic Bread. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed (26 crackers)
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh sage pork sausage
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chicken base – liquid
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup Poultry Seasoning
- 1 cup dried cranberries (crasins)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 jumbo eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice cornbread and white bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to 2 baking sheets and bake for 35-45 minutes or until completely dried out (they should resemble croutons).
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet until nicely browned, breaking up any clumps. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a very large bowl.
Melt butter in remaining fat in skillet. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add celery, garlic, chicken base and all seasoning/spices and cook for 2 minutes, while stirring. Transfer to bowl with sausage and stir in toasted bread, crushed Ritz, and cranberries.
Stir in 4 cups chicken broth until evenly coated. Whisk eggs in small bowl until frothy then whisk in 1 cup chicken broth. Pour over stuffing and gently mix until evenly combined.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. For a less moist stuffing, simply bake longer.