- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 lb. (about 2) boneless, skinless turkey breasts
- 9 cups chicken broth
- Half pound of cheese tortellini pasta
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 TBS fresh thyme leaves (no sprigs)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions and saute for 3 minutes until soft. Then, add the chopped bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Saute for an additional 3 minutes.
Add whole raw turkey breasts, chicken broth, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and simmer about 15 minutes, until the turkey is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a cutting board.
Bring the heat back to medium. With the broth still simmering, stir in the tortellini. Shred or chop the turkey breasts and place into the soup.
Once the tortellini are cooked, turn off the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream, spinach, and parsley. If desired, add more cream. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.