- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 2 large)
- 2 TBS chopped fresh sage
- 3/8 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. exotic mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster are best but you can use whatever type you prefer)
- 1 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp. lower sodium soy sauce
- 3 TBS light sour cream
- 3 TBS half-and-half
- 2 oz. goat cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 (2.1 oz.) packages frozen mini phyllo shells (such as Athens), thawed
- 2 TBS fresh chives, chopped
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and sauté 1 minute. Add sage, ¼ tsp. salt, pepper and mushrooms and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid almost evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in sherry and soy sauce; cook for 30 seconds or until liquid evaporates. Place mushroom mixture in a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining 1/8 tsp. salt, sour cream, half-and-half and goat cheese. Spoon about 2 tsp. mushrooms mixture into each phyllo shell. Garnish with fresh chives.
Note: The filling can be made and refrigerated up to a day in advance, then brought to room temperature before filling the cups Phyllo shells come conveniently pre-baked so they are ready to fill once thawed.