- 2 red bell peppers, seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5-6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup pureed canned tomatoes or tomato juice
- good pinch of dried basil
- 4 eggs
- 8 teaspoons light cream
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice the red and green peppers. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic gently for about 5 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the peppers to the onions and fry for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree or juice, the basil and seasoning. Cook gently for a further 10 minutes until the peppers are soft.
Spoon the mixture into four ovenproof dishes, preferably earthenware. Make a hole in the center and break an egg into each. Spoon 2 teaspoons cream over the yolk of each egg and sprinkle with a little black pepper or cayenne, as preferred. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the white of the egg is lightly set. Serve at once with chunks of crusty warm italian bread.