- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 1 cup chopped Persian or English cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- *optional* 1/4 cup of feta cheese
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice + 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- LENTILS: Rinse the lentils in a fine-mesh sieve. Pick out any debris or shriveled lentils. Combine the rinsed lentils, vegetable/chicken broth in a small pot. Stir and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid comes to a simmer; reduce to medium-low heat and cover with a lid. Keep the lentils simmering until tender, about 20-25 minutes (check at 20 minutes). Remove from heat and strain. Rinse in cold water for 30 seconds to a minute or until fully cooled. Fully drain off any liquid and add lentils to a large bowl. Place in the fridge to continue cooling while preparing the rest of the salad.
- DRESSING: Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake to combine. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the salad.
- SALAD: To the bowl of cooked and cooled lentils, add in quartered cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced red onion, finely chopped parsley, and shredded carrots.
- DRESS: Add dressing and toss gently.
- SERVE: Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2-3 days.
- *Optional: top with feta cheese*