- 2 medium eggplant, about 14 oz. regular olive oil, for basting
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 ripe unwaxed lemon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup very coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
D.O. Tip: Use a stove top grill pan or outdoor grill.
To make the dressing, put the oil, lemon juice and zest, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and beat well. Add the sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. It should be fairly sweet. Stir in half the mint, then set aside. Heat a ridged stovetop grill pan until hot or light an outdoor grill. Cut each eggplant into 8 thin slices, brush lightly with olive oil, add to the pan or grill, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and lightly charred. Arrange the slices on a large platter and spoon the dressing over the top. Cover and set aside so that the eggplant absorbs the flavors of the dressing. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped mint and serve.
Makes 4 servings