(should be cut to about the same size):
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 2 large yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 2 Italian eggplant
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 cans Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 TBS garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS dry parsley flakes
- 2 TBS dry oregano
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 9 x 13-casserole dish
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
In a large saucepan, sauté onions and garlic until onions are soft. Then add crushed tomatoes and all other ingredients. Cook on medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.Set aside.
Lightly grease bottom of casserole dish and add enough tomato mixture to cover bottom. Layer vegetables alternating them, until bottom is covered. Spread a layer of sauce over vegetables and repeating process until no vegetables are left. To avoid browning too quickly, loosely cover with parchment paper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake vegetables for about 1 hour or until tender and serve.
(Option: Remove parchment paper, garnish with shredded parmesan cheese and brown for 5 minutes.)