- 2 large tomatoes, about 1 pound
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 5-6 ounces shrimp in the shell
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/3-1/2 cup light vegetable oil, to taste
- 1/3 pound small, firm mushrooms, thin-sliced
- White pepper
- Leaves of soft lettuce, such as oak leaf or Boston
Drop tomatoes into the boiling water and count to 10; remove and run under cold water. Peel, halve, horizontally, squeeze out seeds, Halve each piece, then cut into thin slices.
Pour a few inches of water into a small pot and bring to a boil; add scallops and shrimp and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Peel shrimp; halve lengthwise, deveining. Halve scallops, then cut into thin semicircles.
Combine seafood and tomato; salt lightly. Blend lime juice and chives; add oil gradually, adjusting to taste. Pour two-thirds over seafood salad. Toss, cover, and chill. To serve, toss mushrooms with remaining dressing and plenty of pepper, add chilled seafood and toss. Arrange on lettuce.