- 2 TBS butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 9 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 lbs. yellow onions, sliced
- 2 1/2 lbs. red onions, sliced
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 Delicious Orchards Baguette, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or swiss cheese
Place the 8 pieces of butter on bottom of slow cooker making sure to space the pieces throughout the bottom and not all in one place. Add extra-virgin olive oil, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 8 hours. About 45 minutes before cooking time is up, place beef broth and sherry in a saucepan and bring to a boil. While waiting for broth mixture to boil, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves from the slow cooker. When broth mixture boils, pour it into the slow cooker and cook on high uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high. Top each slice of Delicious Orchards baguette bread with cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the soup among 8 bowls and top each with a cheese toast.
Hints: To eliminate eye irritation while cutting onions, place onions in refrigerator at least one day before using.