- 1/2 lb. Fresh Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 10 snow peas
- 4 green onions
- 2 small, slender eggplant, about 1/4 lb.
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed sesame oil or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 cup vegetable stock, heated
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, cut in half horizontally
If the shrimp are large, cut them in half lengthwise.
Place in a small bowl with the soy sauce and sherry and mix well.
Cut the snow peas on the diagonal into thin strips. Trim the green onions so each onions is 6 inches long and slice lengthwise into thin slivers. Cut the unpeeled eggplants lengthwise into thin slices, then cut into thin strips 4 inches long. Set the vegetables aside.
Warm the oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the snow peas, onions and eggplant and rapidly toss for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining 1/2 cup stock and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 2 minutes. Discard the garlic and serve immediately.
Serves 3 or 4