- 1 small head of cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced red onions
- 1/4 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard, such as yellow, brown, or hot
- Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1/4 cup canola or other vegetable oil
Finely shred the cabbage to make about 4 cups and place it in a large bowl. Halve the celery stalks lengthwise and thinly slice them crosswise. Without mixing together, pile the celery on top of the cabbage and follow with the carrots, bell peppers, and red onions. In a small bowl or a cup, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt until clear. Stir in the black pepper, mustard, and Tabasco to taste and pour on the vegetables.
In a small pan, heat the oil to just smoking: you should see a few ripples in the oil and some heat waves. Pour the hot oil over the vegetables, aiming especially for the onions and peppers. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss and serve or refrigerate for later.
Serves 8 – 10