- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 rib celery with leaves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry Marsala
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 2 pounds U-10 large shrimp, thawed and peeled (tails left on)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fennel fronds for garnish (optional)
In a 10- to 12- inch saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add onion and celery and cook until softened. Add tomatoes, pine nuts, currants, capers, Marsala, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and lay the shrimp in one layer in the tomato mixture. Cover, set over low heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.