- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sweet sausage casing removed
- ½ cup diced onions
- ¼ diced carrots
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz crushed tomatoes
- 9 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 5oz spinach, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bring it to medium heat. Then remove the casing of 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage and place it into the hot oil. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat and stir until it’s fully cooked.
- Now add onion, celery and carrots. Sauté about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Next add garlic, salt and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour and mix it for a few minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Then add 6 cups of chicken broth along with 8 oz of crushed tomatoes. Give the soup a quick stir and bring the pot to a boil.
- Now add 9 oz of refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini and let them cook for about 5-7 minutes. Then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add spinach. Stir for about 1-2 minute then pour in 1/4 heavy cream and stir for an additional minute.
- Optional: top with parmesan.
*If using frozen tortellini defrost first*