- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (whole, low-fat or skim)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 12 slices of bread (such as french, challah, etc.)
- Optional: 1 TBS brown sugar
FOR THE PUMPKIN BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted or unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 TBS honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add a small amount of butter and melt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, coating both sides; then, place on the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat until finished with all the bread slices. Serve hot with whipped pumpkin butter or maple syrup. If desired, you can top with toasted chopped nuts of your choice.
To make the pumpkin butter:
In a small mixing bowl, add the softened butter and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree, honey or syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Beat for an additional minute or until fluffy. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.